Monday, October 5, 2015

9/14/15
Hello Ma',
Alright, so the guy who just joined the church is named Juan, and He is Wonderful! We started playing soccer with him at the beginning of August, and he was baptized by the end of August. He is the sweetest guy. He was talking about how he was going to get baptized to one of his friends at work, and his friend was like: "Don't you think you are getting baptized a little to soon and a little to fast?" and he was like: "No WAY! I have been waiting for this forever!"  
Some of the others we have been working with include this sister named Kristi. She is wonderful! She really sincerely wants to be baptized, but she is pregnant and does not want to get baptized until after she has the baby.
We are working with two people that used to be in the military. One was a Navy Seal who has been shot... a lot. And the other is someone that struggles to stop smoking. With the latter, I had the opportunity to teach her and commit her to be baptized while we were on splits. It was the coolest lesson. We all were pretty emotional. It is amazing how instinctual and recognizable the gospel is to people. It is in there core, BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE! And when we bring it up, there eyes sparkle, and they utter the most beautiful words that I have ever heard: I believe. 
Up in the mountains one of the biggest problems is the Word of Wisdom. We have helped a man get to the point to quit Alcohol AND NOW HE CAN BE BAPTIZED! We have helped a few others quit tobacco, and it is SO rewarding! But even with these things, Elder Strike and I were talking about how we feel like we cannot take credit for ANYTHING, because it really is all God. Sometimes we even feel like we are useless, because He is the one that really does all the important stuff. He is the one that works the magic!
We are teaching this one Spanish family that is AMAZING! They are wonderful, and I really hope to see the family baptized and sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. The son, who is like my age, is the all-star of the Round Valley Football team. He and his sister are so Sincere in there quest to find spiritual knowledge. IT IS BEAUTIFUL! We teach lessons, and at the end we ask him what he thinks, and he basically says that he has to ask God! then we come back when they have prayed about it... AND THEY LOVE IT! 
Elder Strike had been pretty sick lately. so he asked for a blessing. I know I have not given very many blessings so far, but this was a pretty strange little blessing. When I tried to open my mouth to speak all I could say and all I could think of was to command him to be healed. I tried so hard to think of somethings else to say, but that was all I had... so that is all that was said. Honestly, after the blessing I was kind of embarrassed. I shouldn't have been, but I was. Later that day, I learned that Elder Strike felt better. It was a miracle. We must never doubt the Lord nor His spirit no matter how strange or out-of-place it might seem. 
We also had another baptism in Second Ward this past weekend of this older sister. She is powerful. The way she was introduced to the church was through a member who simply invited her to General Conference. It works. when we fear not, the Lord will use us. Because when He commands, we respond regardless of the task and how afraid we might be. Remember what He has said! "FEAR NOT, I AM WITH THEE, OH BE NOT DISMAYED, FOR I AM THY GOD AND WILL STILL GIVE THE AID. I'LL STRENGTHEN THEE, HELP THEE, AND CAUSE THEE TO STAND!" Be fearless my friends.
Love Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment