Wednesday, October 7, 2015

10/5/2015

Life............ IS GREAT!!!

To: L and M Flake

Hello Dear Family,

Oh what a WONDERFUL few days. I hope all is well in EACH and EVERY ONE of your lives. I pray for you, and pray is real thing it actually works, and so I have full faith and confidence that all is well, or that soon all will be well. I love you all! You are probably sick of that word love because it has become such a part of my vocabulary since I left, but I really do. I do not dwell in my regrets, but I wish I would have cut out all those nights and time with friends and just devoted myself to hanging out with all of you, my family. You older ones, remember that there really is no happier place nor more important and beautiful place within the home were the gospel is taught and practiced. It might sound lame or boring and may not be the thing that you expected all true meaning and happiness in life to come down to, BUT IT IS TRUE. The family is everything. 
We got to go to big lake today. We caught some crawdads, but no fish. Life is good. 

Man, this week has been pretty eye opening. We had exchanges last week, so I got to go work in the middle of a pile of dirt, commonly known as St. Johns. It is quite brutal out there. When Brigham Young first sent settlers out to St. Johns there arose a lot of problems between the already present Catholics and the Mormons. Lots of Shooting and Killing each other, and a lot of those problems still remain today. I got to spend some time with the most broken people that I have seen in my life. Meth abusers that are so sad and so lonely and desperate that they cry just to have someone to talk to! And young people that have no homes, because all their families have been murdered or disappeared. St. Johns is a sad place. Most of these people were born into situations like that, they didn't choose it. They didn't want to do drugs or be lonely or have no family, but they BORN into it. And now, they have lost their bodies and minds to it. How am I so lucky? Why are WE so lucky? We could have so easily been born into these situations, but we were not. We were blessed. And because we are blessed, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE. We are responsible to reach out and help all others who were born into more dire and less favorable circumstances than ourselves. Imagine those of our brothers and sisters who got assigned this lot in Heaven. We were there and we promised we would get to them, and look out for them. We can't brake our promises. Ever. 

You are all AWESOME. Do you think each of you could send me your favorite quote from general conference? Mom, I hope you look at Elder Hollands again. That was beautiful, and know that I feel the same way, and cried over that talk. I LOVE CONFERENCE!
Love Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment