Friday, September 16, 2016

Family,                                                           9/12/16

I am doing EXTREMELY well. Mostly because I have emailed ya'll every week for the past two weeks! That is a record. Things are still busy. Wednesday night, we met with one of our investigators who just graduated college as a tax accountant. He was living in a massive fraternity. Which, I have learned, are really bad... But he wants to change his life so bad. He is reading and praying and begging for an answer that this church is true. And his prayers are beginning to be answered. Yesterday, Elder Cook held a devotional for all the young single adults, but yesterday was also the opening day of football. This investigator is deathly afraid of joining the church and living accordingly because he believes that he will loose all of his "frat brothers." But yesterday, instead of getting drunk all day and hanging out with his friends watching football... He lied to them and told them he had to go to work. And he came straight to church and stayed the whole time, after church he went to buy some bread for the potluck before the Elder Cook devotional (we haven't taught him about the Sabbath day yet! So don't judge!), and then he spent the entire evening listening to inspired talks and prophets. He loved it! What a turn around! What a change! And that is why this gospel is so precious to me, because of how it transforms us in beautiful ways. It can change anything to good. Through Christ we can become. And that is what we should each have as a goal. To change from who we are to day, to someone better tomorrow. This change does not come automatically, nor does it come without intense labor and consistency. That is one of the biggest things I have learned so far as a missionary: just because you serve a mission does not guarantee a change in your nature. I have the opportunity to work with all the missionaries in the mission. And I promise and bare witness that Jesus Christ will only change you IF you let Him. If not, you might change your behavior for these short two years, you might do the things a missionary is supposed to do, but you cannot change your nature. And that is the way it goes with all of life. Elder Cook said that "Enthusiasm is common. Endurance is rare." A change in nature comes from consistently doing the little things. But I am not perfect. I still forget little things here and there which are just dumb mistakes. You try your best, and even if it is not enough God will accept our sacrifice as an unprofitable servant. We have had so many great spiritual experiences with no members this week. My favorite is when people are rude and cuss us out or slam the door in our faces... that is THE BEST! That is what gets me fired up. Because Salvation is not a cheep experience for the Savior, and so the road to get there isn't going to be easy for us. I expect it, and I want it. I love you all. I am so sorry that I am being such a bad and neglectful brother. I will do more!

Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment